Guide Fishing Etiquette - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #21
Rack Ranch
Certified Animal Chiropractor

Rack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to Pirate
I have more problems with city slicker idiots who have more money than sense. There should be a minimal IQ established to own a boat.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
Rack Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #22
TexasSlam18
Registered Users-pm+

TexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to PirateTexasSlam18 has been promoted to Pirate
It is getting ridiculous. Kayakers are the worst about it. This weekend I had a kayaker paddle between me and the bank (i was wade fishing). I thought to myself, he is just going down the shoreline a ways. No, I was wrong. He stopped 75 yards in front of my wade line and tied the kayak to his hip and started fishing and walking in circles.

In the meantime, I was 75 yards from my boat, I had a pair of kayakers pull up behind me (20 yards from me) between me and my boat. Then when I turned around he said "I'm sorry this is the only spot I know." I didn't even have to say anything... He knew he was in the wrong and did not care. The worst part about it is he had a young kid (probably 10) with him and now this kid will think it is acceptable to pull in that close to people.

People have ZERO respect for space anymore and those guides people are mad at have to deal with this on a daily basis to make their living. If you do not say something and assume people will do the right thing then you are wrong. It happened to me this weekend. If you don't say anything people WILL come in on top of you.

If you are a kayaker, and you don't do this, then do not get offended and mad because I am not talking about you. Some kayakers are very respectful.

Last edited by TexasSlam18; 04-20-2017 at 11:16 AM.
TexasSlam18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #23
Lone-Star
Registered Users-pm+

Lone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to Pirate
As a commercial fisherman Id have to say the guides as a group are far more respectful of others on average compared to the regular dudes. Most of the problems with dudes comes down to simple ignorance. The worst group by far is the hot rod tournament types, they know better and simply don't care.
Lone-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #24
Kyle 1974
Registered Users-pm+

Kyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to Pirate
I do enjoy rolling through packery, and listening to the people on the south side of the channel, who happen to be trespassing on private property ***** about a boat going by. It warms my heart.
Kyle 1974 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #25
Bozo
Typical Texan

Bozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to PirateBozo has been promoted to Pirate
If you are like me and fish where the fish aren't then you don't have to worry with rude guides.

The only guide ( or I suspect he was a guide) that I have had any interaction with was in East Galveston Bay. My boat had conked out and I drifted to goat island on bolivar penisula. I was in knee deep water pulling the boat behind me wading toward the ferry landing. I figured I had nothing to lose but to see how far I could go. no cell phone, no radio, just hoof it. Any way, a guy in a Parker big bay with 2 guys that looked clueless saw me and came to my rescue.

He towed me to the launch at the end of the dike where my truck was and took off refusing to take any sort of compensation. I don't know if he was a guide but I suspect he was and he took the time away from his clients to do the right thing.

There are good ones and bad ones in every lot. I'll try to focus on the good.

Last edited by Bozo; 04-20-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Bozo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #26
Majek11
Registered Users-pm+

Majek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to PirateMajek11 has been promoted to Pirate
Most tournament guys I know are very respectful of fishing too close to others,if you run into a problem with one just take a picture or video of them and contact the tournament,they'll be disqualified and once you're disqualified from one it's kinda hard to ever fish another because a lot of the rules state you can't fish in them if you've ever been disqualified from any tournament.
Majek11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #27
duckmania
Registered Users-pm+

duckmania has been promoted to Pirateduckmania has been promoted to Pirateduckmania has been promoted to Pirateduckmania has been promoted to Pirateduckmania has been promoted to Pirateduckmania has been promoted to Pirateduckmania has been promoted to Pirateduckmania has been promoted to Pirateduckmania has been promoted to Pirateduckmania has been promoted to Pirateduckmania has been promoted to Pirate
All good points, like someone said, a lot if it is perspective. I know most of the guides fishing out of goose island, and they know me. We swap info (most of the time) and on several occasions I've had them wave me over to a spot that is producing. I've done the same for them, so I'm pretty lucky in that respect.
The only place I've consistently had trouble with guides, and really mostly tournament guys is on the KR shoreline, which is one of my favorite spots to fish. I've had tournament guys come up and say "we're in a tournament and going to give this spot a shot" or haul butt down the shoreline and not move out a little to get off your wade. But it is what it is, so I fish almost exclusively mid week if I'm really serious about it.
duckmania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #28
Big Bay
Registered Users-pm+

Big Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
If you are like me and fish where the fish aren't then you don't have to worry with rude guides.

The only guide ( or I suspect he was a guide) that I have had any interaction with was in East Galveston Bay. My boat had conked out and I drifted to goat island on bolivar penisula. I was in knee deep water pulling the boat behind me wading toward the ferry landing. I figured I had nothing to lose but to see how far I could go. no cell phone, no radio, just hoof it. Any way, a guy in a Parker big bay with 2 guys that looked clueless saw me and came to my rescue.

He towed me to the launch at the end of the dike where my truck was and took off refusing to take any sort of compensation. I don't know if he was a guide but I suspect he was and he took the time away from his clients to do the right thing.

There are good ones and bad ones in every lot. I'll try to focus on the good.

Pretty sure that was Caleb Haarp if it had a Suzuki on the back I think that's his boat. Talked to him at the fishing show seemed like a good dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #29
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
There are tons of really great respectful guides out there. I've also seen a good change in etiquette in Galveston on the reefs.. most people fishing the reefs are getting a good handle on it and everyone will just fall in line for drifts behind each other, make wide swings around the reefs, and then do it again.

It's that one guy that pulls up and throws the anchor as far as they can heave it that you just have to shake your head at. There should be yearly required boater / angler etiquette course for sure.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #30
sotexhookset
I love beer....

sotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Pirate
Good and not so good ones like in every other group of people in a public place. There's literally probably 20 times more guides in Poc as there was just 25 years ago. Boats too it seems like. Arsehats in every group as has been said.
sotexhookset is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message