2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Finger Mullet & Flounder - Proper way?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  yakfishin 
#1 ·
I'm new to flounder fishing so I was wondering what is the proper way to place the hook in the finger mullet when fishing for Flounder?

1) Hook through the tail?
2) Hook through the top of the mouth?
3) Hook throuh the bottom of the mouth?
4) Hook through both top and bottom of the mouth?

Thanks for you help!

JR

#4 ·
Big Eddie said:
I hook them through both eye sockets. Seem to live a little longer than through the mouth for some reason.
Through the eyes works great for me until as long as they are still alive. Once they are dead (or die on the hook) I hook through one eye out the top of the head. Keeps them on the hook mo' betta.

Aimless

#5 · (Edited)
mullet

It really depends on how you are fishing them. If I am just using a 1/4 oz splitshot or free-lining I hook them thru the eye sockets. They tend to stay at the propper depth that way. If I am using a 3/4 to 1 oz. weight I will hook them thru the tail area just above center to avoid the back bone. This tends to give them more of a disdressed look and action and creat more strikes. I also hook them thru the back on my greg rigs (jig head, kahle hook set up). Mullet would be on red jig head and shrimp on kahle hook. Great Flounder rig. Just drag slowly on the bottom. Good luck, hope this helps.
Yakfishin

P.S. If the mullet is dead, I thread them on a jig-head like a soft plastic and work them slow. actually this time of year I will buy dead ones and just fish them that way. Use large mullet 5" or so for LARGE FLOUNDER.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.