My best brisket ever, and I was surprised - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
gigem87
Catch the witness, catch the wit.

gigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirate
Thumbs up My best brisket ever, and I was surprised

My daughter was in town for the weekend, headed back to Austin today. She told me yesterday that she would sure like to have some brisket to eat on this week. That's all the motivation I needed.

Wife went to HEB to get a brisket. They only had one prime left, and wife wasn't too impressed. Flat was kind of thin and came to a point. Not very bendy and flexible. But we decided to roll with it.

Plan was to put it on late in the evening, let it go all night on my kamado BGE clone.

I trimmed a little of the hard fat off it, but left the cap intact. Got the fire going, got it salted and peppered, and put it on around 10:30 pm.

Temp settled around 225ish, so I went to bed.

Woke up this morning around 7 or so, and my remote thermometer said the grate was still at 235 and the temp in the point was 203. I was surprised it got that hot in only 8 hours or so. Never had a chance to wrap it.

Went outside and stuck my probe in it. Like a hot knife through butter!

Took it off the pit, covered it with foil in a pan and let it sit for about an hour.

It was the best, most tender and moist brisket I've done so far. Still no great smoke ring, but everything else was really good. No pics, as I was in a hurry to slice it and load it up for my daughter to head out of town.

I think the moral of this story is... Don't try so hard I guess... Not sure I'll bother wrapping the next one.
gigem87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
gom1
Registered Users-pm+

gom1 has been promoted to Pirategom1 has been promoted to Pirategom1 has been promoted to Pirategom1 has been promoted to Pirategom1 has been promoted to Pirategom1 has been promoted to Pirategom1 has been promoted to Pirategom1 has been promoted to Pirategom1 has been promoted to Pirategom1 has been promoted to Pirategom1 has been promoted to Pirate
Nice..no pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
gom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
JFolm
Act your wage.

JFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to Pirate
Mr. F,

I gues your pitt boss is still treating you well?

How did you set up your fire bowl?

What digi temp are you using? How does it compare to your local temp gauge?

I just realized recently that I have been doing my fire bowl terribly wrong. Pretty much fighting myself for no reason.
JFolm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
gigem87

gigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFolm View Post
Mr. F,

I gues your pitt boss is still treating you well?

How did you set up your fire bowl?

What digi temp are you using? How does it compare to your local temp gauge?

I just realized recently that I have been doing my fire bowl terribly wrong. Pretty much fighting myself for no reason.
Yes, still loving the Boss, or as we call it the Big Black Avacado...

Not sure what you mean by setting up fire bowl? I just stuck it in there with the opening to the front so I could clean it out, put the bottom screen in there then load it up with lump and pieces of wood and go to town. What have you been doing???

I did get the heat deflector from the Pit Boss store, for smoking. Only issue is the bottom grate sits right on it, so I smoke stuff on the top grate.

I did take the door for the bottom vent off and bent it a little more, so it would seal tighter. I am guessing that is one area where the BGE is probably better. Even now when everything is shut off, I still get some smoke out the top vent for a while. I'm guessing the BGE tolerances are tighter, and when shut off it probably kills the fire immediately. It's not really an issue for me, as I can dial in whatever temp I need. Probably just burning more lump once I am done that i should. No biggee.

For a temp gauge, I got a Maverick Redi-Check ET732. Mine is white, probably an older model than this one on Amazon. Reports temp on grate and in meat with probe. It works great. The thermometer on the Big Black Avacado went to gauge heaven the first time I did a steak and got 'er north of 600 degrees. It's stuck up there, and totally useless now... It was not accurate even when it did try to work...
Old 03-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
JFolm
Act your wage.

JFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to Pirate
I meant your fire I guess. I saw where people load the bowl, throw in a fire starter, close lid and open vents, close back vents when getting close to desired temp so it will stabilize.

I was starting a fire, adding coals to get it to temp, lol.

I was told this thermometer was more accurate. I am going to pull my OE one and put them both in boiling water to compare. I ultimately need to get a digi one..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ya/ref=...292471-6827422
Old 03-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
gigem87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFolm View Post
I meant your fire I guess. I saw where people load the bowl, throw in a fire starter, close lid and open vents, close back vents when getting close to desired temp so it will stabilize.

I was starting a fire, adding coals to get it to temp, lol.]
I let my fire burn a bit before I close the lid. Trick is to close it before it gets too hot, or it's a real pain to get it back down.

Once I light the fire, I put the grates on and don't take them back off until the next cook. Your way does sound like a lot of unneeded work!

Once I pull my brisket off, I open the vents full to crank up the heat to burn off anything that dripped onto the grates and heat deflector. Run like that for 30 minutes or so, then shut 'er down.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
JFolm
Act your wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem87 View Post
I let my fire burn a bit before I close the lid. Trick is to close it before it gets too hot, or it's a real pain to get it back down.

Once I light the fire, I put the grates on and don't take them back off until the next cook. Your way does sound like a lot of unneeded work!

Once I pull my brisket off, I open the vents full to crank up the heat to burn off anything that dripped onto the grates and heat deflector. Run like that for 30 minutes or so, then shut 'er down.
Just now seeing this. Yeah I was doing a lot of unnecessary work for sure. Going to smoke some ribs to try the "new" method.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:46 AM   #8
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
I don't wrap my briskets I do on the BGE. They don't get too smoky. Or dry. Biggest thing I've noticed to having good results is to get the internal temp to 198-203 and have the temp probe go in easily. And getting choice or prime. The stiffness doesn't seem to matter or even the shape of the flat. You can't always find one you like at the store. I've done selects on occasion and don't have them turn out quite as good.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message