2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

New & Need advice/tips for Galveston Bay System

5K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Texun4 
#1 ·
So like the title says, I am new to the forum and have been really enjoying all the content so thanks first off!!

I have been using the search function in doing research but am looking for some updated info on the subject. I am very green when it comes to fishing the Galveston Bay System and was looking for any advice or tips anyone might have. I am not looking for anyones secret spots or "the juice" (not opposed to anyone sharing either haha) What I am really looking for is the "do's and don'ts" as far as navigating the bay system and making it back safe with no damage. I am very familiar with boating safety as I have grown up on boats and the water but I have no experience in Galveston. So I am wondering things like: can I just run out across the bay safely, what things to look out for, places to avoid, good maps to have/study, good central place to launch. I am planning on making my first trip out there on the 24th and was thinking of launching off of the Texas City Dike, is this a good central location?

Just FYI I am running a 22' SeaArk BXT220 (Aluminum) with a tunneled hull, an Evinrude 150 W/ 6" adjustable jack plate, and I have a humminbird Helix using the Navionics Card for the Gulf Coast.

Any help is really appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
Get the actual chart of Galveston bay and look over it, especially the area/s you want to fish. This is the chart that the gps maps are based on. Use Google maps to look at those same areas for a 'real life' image. Order the Troutsupport DVD's.

#11 ·
Is there a good source for the actual chart or would the hook and line chart be good for that as well?

Does the Troutsupport DVD provide info for navigating or just fishing tips?

Study the charts for Galveston bay carefully, the bay is a very dangerous place, generally murky water with all sorts of man made and natural obstructions . One particular place I try to avoid is the "oyster field" near Hanna and Eagle Point with all of the pvc poles in the water, there are many unmarked oyster beds around there so be careful.
Is there anything marking most of these dangerous obstructions?

#5 ·
Study the charts for Galveston bay carefully, the bay is a very dangerous place, generally murky water with all sorts of man made and natural obstructions . One particular place I try to avoid is the "oyster field" near Hanna and Eagle Point with all of the pvc poles in the water, there are many unmarked oyster beds around there so be careful.

#8 ·
East Bay there's not really anything to watch out for, West Bay is a different story. Got to be real careful out there unless you are in the ICW obviously. Fish Greens Lake. Just run the ICW all the way there. It stays around 2-2.5ft but you aren't going to hit anything. Just drift through there with plastics

#15 ·
You can get the NOAA paper chart at West Marine or online. The Hot Spot maps are pretty good for fishing spots and are probably easier to find locally for you. They are also waterproof so they are good to have on the boat with you.

The Trout Support videos are all about how to read the water and understand what's going on to help you find productive water. So fishing tips but on a next level.

#17 ·
You can get the NOAA paper chart at West Marine or online. The Hot Spot maps are pretty good for fishing spots and are probably easier to find locally for you. They are also waterproof so they are good to have on the boat with you.

The Trout Support videos are all about how to read the water and understand what's going on to help you find productive water. So fishing tips but on a next level.
I just read a post about the Troutsupport DVDs and I will definitely be purchasing the 4 pack. Thanks.

#20 ·
Eagle Point area,
There is a reef or sandbar that runs east west from
Eagle point towards RedFish Rocks.
The south side of this reef has several obstructions. Not marked.
You might see it you might not. I have two of them marked, one
seems to be missing, or sunk. last time i was there.
I fish mostly on the north side of it . Not much ship wake there.
with dead shrimp, easy to catch whiting, croakers, gaff top hard heads
sand trout.
To the west of there you will see a large gate ( moses lake ) ,
Fishing either side can be producttive, inside the lake , becarefull
lots to hit in there but the fishing can be good and its a good place to hide
on some windy days.

Ship Wake danger:

anywhere outside and close to redfish rocks.
anywhere south, north, west side of the island 5 miles due east of kemah.

I have seen rollers breaking near the dike and north not far off the channel.

Best bet till you get familar, tie a float to end of anchor line, If you get in trouble throw the line in the water , point nose into the swell , gas it and
get ready to ride down back side of swell and meet another .
Hopefully you wont smack the bottom.
Texas city dike is a place to watch out for at the ramp.

#21 ·
Ship Wake danger:

anywhere outside and close to redfish rocks.
anywhere south, north, west side of the island 5 miles due east of kemah.

I have seen rollers breaking near the dike and north not far off the channel.
Good info Plano hog. The Ship Wake Danger is all along the 'spoils' of the ship channel. it starts near the dike about a mile in from the jetties. The spoils are the remains from when they actually dug / excavated the channel years and years ago. The spoils are shallow in comparison to the channel.. they range from 3-5 ft under the surface and when the wakes from the ships hit them it causes the waves to crest and people actually surf them, and they will also capsize a center console. After the wakes cross this shallow zone of the spoils which are about 100 yards wide, the wakes become large swells and are fairly easy to manage. Like Plano mentioned the former reef area from Redfish island to almost eagle point is called Todds Dump. it's mostly just a sand bar now.. used to be oyster 10-15 years ago. It is shallow and usually about 1-2 ft on top or less. Waves can crest there as well. As long as your boat is in 8-10 feet of water either in the ship channel or off the spoils to the east of west in 8-10 feet, then you'll only have big swells. Stay in those areas at first and observe where the waves are crashing / cresting. I literally watched a tug boat south and west of redfish island have a wave cresting on it that went to the windows on the second story of the tug... wow. The rest of what Plano wrote is spot on... but take your time learning that area. You don't want to wait too late before firing up either.. ahead of the breakers the water will draw down and if you are too shallow then it can strand you right before the waves hit.

#26 ·
Thats correct.. and the spoils on the channel look about like this...

If I were new to the area I would either fish the PVC pole areas in east bay or north and south of Todds Dump.. the biggest challenge most have been having lately is the wind. it's not bad early for about an hour or 2 but then after it ramps up about 15 it gets pretty tough. Some cutout around 12mph... Winds are predicted as light this weekend but with a good chance of storms rolling in. No promises though as the weatherman never gives us any. I tend to look at the near offshore forecast for wind predictions.

Wind Guru isn't too bad for wind prediction. Don't use the News channels wind forecast for the bays... use something that gives you the beach wind forecast or windfinder actually gives you a look at current wind speeds.. but that's no help to trying to decide if you should go or not.

https://www.windguru.cz/206901

Attachments

#27 ·
Wanted to add, just west of your drawn circle or area, is a place
that the waves will amaze you , you will think AWHHH DANGIT , but
its very small , its fun to watch from inside the rocks. Favorite
swimming hole, about 4' inside there.
If its nice, the old gas well complex just east of there is productive
at times, has lots of snags, never go fast in there. I like it because
the trawlers never go there .

#31 ·
totally safe.. they are all in about 6'.

Todds off Eagle Point, and crest of Hannahs in East, are the only 2 things you need to look out for as far as depth in those areas where PVC pipes mark oyster leases. They are fairly well marked as well.. if you only see one or 2 pvc pipes that's probably not an oyster lease (there are 1 or 2 like that though) but most are marked with about 50 and in some polygonal shape.

#32 ·
totally safe.. they are all in about 6'.

Todds off Eagle Point, and crest of Hannahs in East, are the only 2 things you need to look out for as far as depth in those areas where PVC pipes mark oyster leases. They are fairly well marked as well.. if you only see one or 2 pvc pipes that's probably not an oyster lease (there are 1 or 2 like that though) but most are marked with about 50 and in some polygonal shape.
Awesome! That is the kind of info that I am looking for. Thanks.

So other than Todds, Hanna's, the spoil areas and any obstructions that are sticking out of the water are there any other that I really need to watch out for or try to mark?

Weather pending I am hoping to make a trip to Eagle Point on Saturday and just do a little learning of the area and maybe get a line or 2 in the water but my main focus is to just try to get to know the area and become familiar.

O and by the way I am going to be buying the 4 pack of DVDs as everyone has nothing but good things to say about them.

#35 ·
What are yalls thoughts for this weekend? Galveston Bay or East Matagorda? I have a buddy of mine coming in to town and we are planning to take the boat out either Sat. or Sun. I have been to East Matagorda before with someone who was familiar with the area so I have some tracks and way points laid down. Galveston is all new to me but I am really wanting to learn. Any thoughts are appreciated especially with the "storm" this past week.

#37 ·
Soo I know it has been 2 weeks but figured I would give an update.....the weekend I was looking at going to east bay (same week we had Cindi) I ended up going to East Matagorda thinking it was further south so might be in better shape. Had no luck but had a good time running around down there.

Sooo now this weekend I am heading to Galveston with my boat and my Father-in-Law in tow. He has fished the area for years (not so much lately) and has a much better idea of how to safely navigate the area than I do. So with all of yall's tips and him in the boat I am hoping to have a decent day running around and learning the area!

Any last minute tips or areas to learn?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.