2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Hooks on maniac mullet

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  grindthegrind 
#1 ·
I just bought my first maniac mullet today, slow sink pink, and pearl pink crazy croaker.
What size hooks should i change out these lures to, or should i leave them how they come.From what i can see on the pics u guys summit, the hooks look like the originals.
I just recently changed out the hooks on my paul brown devil, 2/0, but have not had a chance to go out. I bought these maniacs in mcallen, and when i asked the salesman about replacing the hooks he looked at me wierd and said that was way to big.

Hey Jack, one time in naum............

#2 ·
Originals are fine, theyre not really too light unless you plan on catching a bunch of big reds and trout and using braid with the drag tightened all the way down the original hooks are fine. If you really want to change them out try the vmc 4x strong #2 trebles, i use these on corkies too. If you want them to sink a bit slower go with the #4.

http://www.fishingscout.com/anglers/SmackDaddy

#11 ·
Mac it right. Hooks are fine unless you start horsing a big trout or red then I am not sure if any #4 will hold them. ;) Take you time and let the fish tire out.

Changing the wt out on suspending or slow sink baits will effect the sink rate. Most of the baits are weighted correctly and will sink and about the same rate.

If you look last week I posted back up what the weights were for trebles and split rings in #2, #4, #3 and #5 split rings. Also posted were the wts for the Gamagatsu hooks that some people up use when grass is bad.

The question I have on the corkies is why are you changing the hooks out to begin with esp if you have never fished them much to begin with?

#12 ·
Don't need to worry about changing your hooks if you aren't after big trout or reds. Big trout will straighten those stock hooks. All my corkies and spooks get the same treatment right out of the box changing the split rings and hooks. Why spend all those hours trying to find big fish and lose it over something as simple as switching out hooks or split rings. People spend thousands on boats and rods and neglect the most important part which is whats between you and the fish. Makes no sense to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.