2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

How to make RedFish taste better?

25K views 56 replies 46 participants last post by  JMAKO 
#1 ·
Guy's

Most people don't care to much for eatting redfish on count of the taste, Can you guys share some ideas how you can make red fish more enjoyable taste?

searacer

#40 ·
Redfish

I'm a little confused about this thread, like some of the others...who doesn't like Redfish on the half shell?? The only semi complaint I've ever had is I believe them to be a little on the bland side, but nothing a little extra butter and seasoning can't handle.

Lay them flat on a cookie sheet or on foil for easier cleanup and cut a few thin slices of butter along the thickest parts of the meat. Sprinkle liberally with multiple seasonings like TexJoy steak, Cajun seasoning like Tony C's, some garlic powder, a little lemon pepper or any other favorites, then cover with some onion slices and some more butter. Bake at 300 or grill it over a medium heat fire, but don't overcook it or it will get tough and dry. Once the flakes start to separate with clear juice coming through pull it out and serve with rice or mashed potatoes. The 'shell' might stick so basically scrape the meat from it and enjoy.

#41 ·
PS : So when it goes on the grill or on the half shell do you guys use foil to put it onto or is the skin facing direct heat? If on foil do you keep it wrapped up or do you lay it open on the foil and close the lid of the grill?

Yes - ive never grilled redfish ;-)

#48 ·
GeeTee, I cook em both ways, but allot more of a % goes to w/o foil. I only use foil when I make this one particular recipe I like that includes the Veggies and bastes in one foil. You have to make a tent of foil as well. The juices of the veggies are preserved as well the feech. W/o foil baste and baste again. I use a fork trick and let it rest for 5 mins as well . Fork needs to go al the way thru the thickest part.

Glad you are doing it right !! Cook the throats at he same way and time too . :ac550:

Try a search as I might of posted a recipe or 2 on this. I can find 2 pics quicker.

Attachments

#42 ·
I leave the scales on, the scales act like foil & keep it from sticking to the grill and cook until the meat flakes off with a fork. Or like others have said the slits open up if you have made them. I like to make a compound butter and put on the meat halfway through the cooking process. My wife and I will eat it straight off the skin with forks no point in dirtying up extra plates. I don't flip the fish leave it skin/scale side down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 ·
couple things here:
1.if you insist on doing it on the half shell , don't cook it straight over the hot coals and scorch the scales, sure way to give it an off taste

2. baste it with something---anything to keep it moist , lemongarlicbutter, piquante sauce, blue cheese salad dressing.

3. go to plan B, filet it off the skin, cut the red center line out , cook it in a foil boat like a half shell on top of some white onion slices. again......baste it. and cook offset method.

4. grill it with the lid down, but you don't want a scorched food cloud hovering over the meat, fish picks up smoke flavor really quick.

eat your half shells first, they absorb an off flavor in the freezer fairly quick from the skin and bloodline

#45 ·
A tip for people that want to grill fish. Gas grills have a "wetter" heat that charcoal. IMO fish cooks over gas grills much better.

I use a R&V Works Smokin Cajun Grill and the fish turns out moist and smoky. Redfish are cooked for 7 minutes on each side at 350 degrees. No Skin. Coat it with Oilive oil then season with salt, pepper and garlic. You do not need to flip it, but, it is good to move the filets after a minute or two and they will stick because the meat sears that hits the grate, and moving the filets keeps the meat from reaching the point where it is stuck.

#47 ·
My Cliff Notes version on Redfish:

1. Keep the 20-23 inch fish, and giveaway/toss the rest.
2. Fillet with keeping the scales, and remove the red center line from the meat.
3. Baste and top with fresh herbs if cookin' on the grill (half shell method). I also soak meat overnight in a Zesty Italian dressing (Scales up). A customer told me about the Italian dressing marinade method. It was awesome!
4. Fillet and cut fish into bite sized chunks. Fry in hot oil. I do this method if I have to freeze the fish.

#50 ·
My .02 cents worth.

Dang, searacer, you sure got one heck of a thread going this time !

**Bleeding is a good Idea, got to get that mud taste out of it.

** For the Half shell on the grill, Cut in to serving portions, Soak in Italian dressing and seasonings.

** If I'm frying, I soak the serving portions in mustard, beer, and hot sauce for 6-24 hours, I think cutting the meat into nuggets works better. Staring at 20" slab of fish can be visually overwhelming to the consumer.

Peace out

:texasflag

#53 ·
Redfish Recipe

I cooked Redfish last night.
I coat the fillet with Olive oil lightly, then salt and pepper.
I make a Garlic Lemon Butter:
1 Lg Lemon squeezed (set to side and add just before cooking)
1 stick of unsalted butter
2 Garlic cloves Minced
Garlic Power 1-2 tsp
Onion Powder 1-2 tsp

Melt Butter in a microwave and add the Garlic and Onion Powder and the minced fresh garlic.

Add the lemon juice just before you grill the fish.

While on the grill baste the fish as it is cooking. Turn and baste as often as you like.

Serve with Fresh Lemons to be squeezed over fish if you like.

It also works very well with trout.

It is awesome!!
:texasflag

#54 ·
I'm one of the few who isn't crazy about redfish on the halfshell and I have cooked hundreds of them on the halfshell over the years. I'll eat it and it is Ok but it is far from my favorite.

I much prefer to take them off the skin and get that red meat out. I like it grilled though and will either put it on foil or in a grill basket depending on what I am trying to do.

As long as I remove the red meat and eat it fresh I am fine with any slot sized redfish.

I catch and eat a whole lot of redfish and I like to mix it up. I probably have over a doz different ways that I cook it that are all just outstanding. I think the important things are to bleed them, ice them well, clean them properly, get the red meat out and eat them fresh. Do that any decent recipe or method will turn out fine.

#57 ·
I like to keep my reds alive on the stringer the bleed them in the water. fillet and skin, slice red meat off skin side. Make foil "boats by folding up sides of foil to form a sealed boat like a mini shoe box top. Melt some real butter, put a layer in boat, season fillets with your fav and lay them in boats and put thinly sliced onions, garlic and cerrono peppers on top. Put the boats on the grill and grill about 10 min. or so. When halfway cooked pour melted butter on top of fillets. When done leave fillets in boats and transfer them to your plate. We cook rice to go with and the juices in the boat are awesome!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.