mono and braid - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Line Class Forum

Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Registered Users-pm+

GreyGoose has been promoted to PirateGreyGoose has been promoted to PirateGreyGoose has been promoted to PirateGreyGoose has been promoted to PirateGreyGoose has been promoted to PirateGreyGoose has been promoted to PirateGreyGoose has been promoted to PirateGreyGoose has been promoted to PirateGreyGoose has been promoted to PirateGreyGoose has been promoted to PirateGreyGoose has been promoted to Pirate
mono and braid

first things first:

whats the best braid to use and what lb test? all round bass fishing and on other reel Salt water, trout, reds.

How much mono do i put on the spool b4 I put the braid?

I want to experiance the power of the braid
Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Tall1 has been promoted to PirateTall1 has been promoted to PirateTall1 has been promoted to PirateTall1 has been promoted to PirateTall1 has been promoted to PirateTall1 has been promoted to PirateTall1 has been promoted to PirateTall1 has been promoted to PirateTall1 has been promoted to PirateTall1 has been promoted to PirateTall1 has been promoted to Pirate
As far as I know, you only need enough mono to cover the bare spool to prevent the braid from slipping on the spool. I spooled up a Curado E7 with braid for the first time using Fins XS braid (30lb test/8lb diameter) and spliced it to the mono using a uni to uni splice. It worked out well. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet since making the switch to braid. Next, I'm going to spool my Core 50MG7 with Fins Windtamer. As for which braid to use, I believe it's a matter of trial and error, and personal preferrence. Most of the guys I fish with (bay fishing) use the Fins Windtamer 30lb test/8lb diameter. You could ask 10 people, and get 10 different opinions. As for bass fishing, I'm not sure which braid the majority uses.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Charlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to Pirate
Braid and Mono

A reel casts better with a completely filled spool. With the price of braid, it is practical to use mono for a backing with braid on top. Here's how to do it:

I just went through with 'guesstimating' the amount of mono required to finish topping off a spool with braid. I know that's common knowledge with the 'Old heads', but I get this question asked often.

It's easy if you have two reel spools of the same size. On the empty spool, wrap on the entire spool of braid then tie the mono on and wrap until the reel spool if full.

Put the empty spool onto the reel and wind the line back on the reel. Voila!; you now have the proper amount of mono 'filler', backing, or whatever, on the bottom with the braid on top.

I surf fish, so my shockleader goes on the end of that.

BTW; I use a 'uni-to-uni' knot to connect the lines.

Go fishing! C2
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Jean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to Pirate
Texasflag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose View Post
first things first:

whats the best braid to use and what lb test? all round bass fishing and on other reel Salt water, trout, reds.

How much mono do i put on the spool b4 I put the braid?

I want to experiance the power of the braid
Spinning reel or baitcasting reel????
Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Fishhead56 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Put a wrap of electrical tape on the spool, Get a 300 yd spool of spiderwire 30 lb , Ivisabraid or Ultra cast. Tye your knot with a 2 inch tag end when tying the braid to your spool. Wind 5 tight wraps on to the spool , lay another 1 inch piece of electric tape over these wraps and the long tag end. wind on 50 or so wraps tightly , set your drag and pull line off of the spool. It should not slip!! continue to fill your reel
tightly with the braid... No need to underwrap with mono..

My $.02

K2
Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Robert W has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRobert W has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRobert W has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRobert W has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRobert W has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRobert W has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRobert W has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRobert W has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRobert W has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRobert W has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRobert W has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
So everyone does it a little different but this is what I do. If your reel holds 140 yards of a given mono. Spool on 70 mono, then a double uni to the braid and spool on 80 yards of braid. Most braid comes in 160 yard spools so you can save money by spooling 2 reels. That gives you enough braid to cast, catch, play the fish with little chance of getting into the mono backing.

I like the suffex832 best as after spooling 3 different braids, it seems to be rounder and just feels better.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered Users-pm+

austinabear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Is there anyone who uses braid, swivel then mono liter? Will braid eventually tangle like mono if you don't use a swivel?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Jean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to Pirate
I am fishing just with spinning reels ,braid(4lb-10lb.)+fluorocarbon leader(2lb.-15lb.). You can tie direct the mono with braid(uni to uni etc.knots) but you can use swivel between the braid and mono if you want.
The braid don't tangle like mono if you don't use swivel.You can't use swivel with long mono leader......
Old 04-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Registered Users-pm+

austinabear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
flounder

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered Users-pm+

cpthook has been promoted to Piratecpthook has been promoted to Piratecpthook has been promoted to Piratecpthook has been promoted to Piratecpthook has been promoted to Piratecpthook has been promoted to Piratecpthook has been promoted to Piratecpthook has been promoted to Piratecpthook has been promoted to Piratecpthook has been promoted to Piratecpthook has been promoted to Pirate
I would not put electrical tape on my reel its melts and is sticky. i've heard of people doing this but I wouldn't. I tied strait to the reel and it worked fine, no slippage. I'm fishing Core 50s now so not as much line required for a full spool but with a Carado 200E7 I woudl fill half the spool with mono.