2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Would you quit work forever?

5K views 59 replies 53 participants last post by  24Buds 
#1 ·
For some time now, i've been thinking about what i would do if i ever won the lottery. As of right now, i would be mad passionate about finishing up school, and then turning into an extremely wealthy beach/fishing bum for the remainder of my days. My buddy constantly argues that the lazy lifestyle would get old really fast, but i'm not sure i've quite wrapped my head around that concept. I completely understand that money can't buy happiness, but it can sure free you up to do whatever your heart desires.

#5 ·
I think I would have to work a little, maybe 20 hours a week at most. Otherwise, I'd have way too much free time on my hands to spend that lottery money. It would be gone in no time flat, then I'd be right back where I was. I want to be able to enjoy that money for the rest of my life. If I were about 20 years older, I'd rethink this plan.

#7 ·
Depends. Up to 2.5 million in cash (after taxes) I would still work. Just not at this job. :)

Anything over, and you can forget ever seeing me punching a time card again. I'd get me a comfy house on waaaay to much acreage in the Arkansas River Valley. Hunt, fish, and *** my life away.

#10 ·
No way I would be doing what I call "work" now if I won a substantial lottery. I would travel, fish, hunt, do charity work and just relax when I wanted to. I am sure I could fulfill my time every day doing something other than "work". That doesn't include working on the boat, house, car, etc. I like to do that kind of work.

#12 ·
I have been thinking somewhat along these lines but not really winning the lottery cause I don't play. But how much money do you need to quit your job. I am 33 years old and single so I can live much less than most people on the board. My goal right now is to retire when I have 1.5 mill. I am pretty sure I can do OK with only a million but 1.5 would make it more comfortable. Cause investing in mutual funds there is a normal return of about 10% a years. So with a million that would be $100K a year to live off of and don't see that being a problem. I am sure I would be working parttime but don't want to have any requirements for my time. I am thinking more about having a few simple projects to make a few bucks from time to time.

#27 ·
I have been thinking somewhat along these lines but not really winning the lottery cause I don't play. But how much money do you need to quit your job. I am 33 years old and single so I can live much less than most people on the board. My goal right now is to retire when I have 1.5 mill. I am pretty sure I can do OK with only a million but 1.5 would make it more comfortable. Cause investing in mutual funds there is a normal return of about 10% a years. So with a million that would be $100K a year to live off of and don't see that being a problem. I am sure I would be working parttime but don't want to have any requirements for my time. I am thinking more about having a few simple projects to make a few bucks from time to time.
In a few years however, that $100k wouldn't be worth near as much as now and the more time goes on, that $100k would be worth not near enough to live on many years down the road. I remember 30 years ago, $12K was a good living, now that is poverty. It will be the same as time goes on.

#18 ·
I used to spend the better part of my day thinking of what I would do at work if I did win the lottery. I would focus on pulling pranks until I got canned. To start, you'd need 3lbs of catfish bait and a flathead screwdriver.

If any of you win the lotto my ideas are for sale...CHEAP.

#20 ·
I'm talking a 2400 acre cougar ranch out of Sanderson, with all the B Listers to help manage the operation, a 10 gallon Stetson and a helipad at my villa in Sargent for the trip back and forth!

With all the proceeds divied up between the various cancer cure organizations! :biggrin:

#23 ·
Can I be one of your B listers and a House boy for the Cougar Ranch, I already wrote your book for you on the Hunting page?????:bounce:

I'm talking a 2400 acre cougar ranch out of Sanderson, with all the B Listers to help manage the operation, a 10 gallon Stetson and a helipad at my villa in Sargent for the trip back and forth!

With all the proceeds divied up between the various cancer cure organizations! :biggrin:

#22 ·
Yup!

I would quit in a NY minute!

Now's here's a funny and TRUE story. At the place I was working a couple of years ago we had a IT tech that worked nights and from home a lot. Was very reclusive and avoided all meetings and would rarely return calls or emails. He never did much actually.

Well, one day he just quit and took another job. It was almost 4 months later before anyone in management knew that he quit. And then only because some pizzy girl made a stink about it when she was fired/quit.

This guy was my hero! Double paychecks for almost a quarter of a year! And he got paid a bonus!

#24 ·
Well if it was this week that i won.First i would check out Wading Mark's customer profile and maybe hire him to manage my investments.Then i would see what was spendable{with proper returns on investments** and set my parents up for the rest of their lives,they could be close to us.Then set up grandkids college funds[with conditions] for incentive.Then travel or fish or hunt.

#28 ·
I'd have a hard time convincing myself to quit, but I think I'd definitely start taking some more time off anyway... On the other hand, I could quit or go part time and start chipping away at ten or fifteen years' worth of backlogged work I need to do around here. I think my first purchase is going to be about a five thousand gallon diesel tank: I'm going to need it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.