2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Minn Kota Talon VS Power Pole

9K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  letsgofishin 
#1 ·
Up in the air on which one to buy.

#2 ·
Up in the air!

All in all, both are great products. But like everything else in life, there are flaws to both products. You can find video where each are mounted on a boat and they are tested the same way. You'll see that there is good from both.

The powerpole will stop the boat faster, its stronger, hydraulic beats electric gears in this contest. Its not exposed in the air when in use like the talon is.

The Talon wins when it comes to the electronics, as your boat rises up and down in the water, the stake of the talon will dig deeper when needed, ensuring an anchor in nasty winds. You always hear about powerpoles being ripped off because people take off with them still down in the ground, the talon will alert you in this situation.

They are pretty much priced the same, still seeing alot of powerpoles but have seen more and more talons as the weeks go by. Again, both are great, just a matter of what you can live with.

#5 ·
Buddy of mine went through 2 Talons before getting a power pole, all within the last month. The power pole is quality. IMO.I have a power pole and it performs flawless.
While ive heard the complete opposite. Ive been on boats where guys need to get out and put more weight on the PP inorder to make sure it stays in. While this weekend I was on a boat with the talon and it performed awesome. Just apples to oranges.

#6 ·
I purchased a Talon 2 months ago and have been generally pleased. The mounting bolts almost completely came off on the first trip but I called Minn Kota and their customer service informed me that I had the "old style" mount that was recalled earlier this year. Apparently BPS did not retro-fit it with the "new style". MinnKota sent me a new set of bolting in 2 days and it has had no problems since then. I would agree with others who have posted about these 2 products ... they both have their plusses and minuses. Hydraulics are clearly stronger than electric but electric works fine when the pole is deployed straight down, like the Minn Kota. The drawback to that is if you lose power in your boat then dis-engaging the Talon is more time consuming vs. the PowerPole system. Mine is on a Ranger 2300 Bay and has seen several large ship waves when deployed with no problems on sustaining boat position. Both the Talon and PowerPole are good products ... my experiance says it just personal preferance on your selection. Tight Lines !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.