2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

SHO 250 vs. HPDI 300

10K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Kyle 1974 
#1 ·
I am buying a new boat and have the choice of an SHO 250 or HPDI 300 (20" shaft). Tough call - I like 2 strokes. Forget purchase price and fuel consumption - think strickly operation and performance. I know the HPDI (and its quirks). I have run 4 strokes but not an SHO 250. If you have experience with both please tell me what you think.
Thanks

#6 ·
I am sure the HPDI will outrun the SHO but I am not a "ZUMI". I lope around at 35 - 40 mph. That boat will be plenty fast for me with either motor. I had just hoped to get a little input from someone that has run them both - the SHO being somewhat of a "newbie".

#9 ·
I don't have a Black Jack but I have run both a 2008 Yamaha Series 2 VMAX HPDI 250 HP and currently a 2010 Yamaha 250 SHO on my 24 JH Performance....the exact same hull with absolutely nothing changed out other than the SHO replacing the HPDI.

The gear ratio is the same on both motors and it is the exact same prop as well. I get top end speed about 1.5-2 mph faster with the SHO than I did with the HPDI. I really like not having to mess with 2 stroke oil on every fill up. I also like the fact that the SHO is a much quieter motor. I have not seen any difference in hole shot.

In short for my experience (again on a different hull than what you are looking at) there is no way I would EVER go back to a HPDI motor. I know it's not the 300 vs 250 you asked for but figured it might you help on an apples to apples comparison HP wise.

#10 ·
"hch3" - I expect you are right but the "why" is what I am looking for if you dont mind.

"spots" - Thanks. Pretty much what I expected to hear. I have had a Honda and a Yam F225 and I do enjoy the quiet. Oh yea, what gives with the orange boat "88 ag"?

#15 ·
I just had the exact same choice to make. My boat is at LMC right now getting a new motor put on.

I went with the 300hpdi. The 3k saved by choosing the HPDI will buy alot of 2 stroke oil.

If money is not a concern... look at the 350 Verado

It wasn't an easy decision. If the SHO was offered in a 300... i probably would have chosen differently.

#16 ·
Yep, the difference was $3,000. However, Yamaha has a $1,000 rebate on the SHO (ends today) that got the diff down to $2,000. I was really more concerned with performance than cost. Though I like 2 strokes, I tumbled to peer presure and bought the SHO (had to decide today to get the rebate). I tend to trade every few years and thought the SHO would be easier to turn than the HPDI. Really, it was pretty well a toss up. The Blackjack will perform well with either motor.

#20 ·
I have a 250 SHO, and can't imagine the motor being much better.... zero complaints.

(and zero 2 stroke oil)....

I've heard that the 300 HPDI isn't putting out 300 HP. All motors have a +/- they have to fall within and supposedly the 300 HPDI falls on the low side of what's allowable.

the 300 HPDI is a 3.3 liter engine. The 250 SHO is a 4.2 liter engine. The way my brain works tells me that a larger motor has less stress on it. How else do you make more HP from a smaller engine?

#24 ·
I have a 250 SHO, and can't imagine the motor being much better.... zero complaints.

(and zero 2 stroke oil)....

I've heard that the 300 HPDI isn't putting out 300 HP. All motors have a +/- they have to fall within and supposedly the 300 HPDI falls on the low side of what's allowable.

the 300 HPDI is a 3.3 liter engine. The 250 SHO is a 4.2 liter engine. The way my brain works tells me that a larger motor has less stress on it. How else do you make more HP from a smaller engine?
The way your Brain works? You have got to be kidding me.

#22 ·
I would look pretty hard at the 2 stroke simply from the maintenance aspect. I don't feel like doing it myself, and the 4 strokers seem to require a trip to the shop for post break in, and more routine service. I prefer to not drag the boat out of the water, and take it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.