2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

What do boys wear to the homecoming dance?

33K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  rsparker67 
#1 ·
My sophomore son (AKA, yes or no answer man) at Kingwood Park has a date for the homecoming dance in 2 weeks.

Mum ordered - check!
Corsage ordered - check!
Know the color of the date's dress - check!

What are HS boys wearing to the HC dances these days? He has told us everything from a tux, jeans, suit (I think black shirts may be in). We have no idea. Please help!
:help:

#7 ·
funny...the difference in guys and girls:

our HC was 2 weeks ago....in years past our daughter "HAD TO HAVE" a new dress "EVERYONE was getting one"....her dramatic whine...wanted to stay out all night at the "after party"...."everyone's parents let them go" (not)...a lot of drama!

now that son is there, the guys were wearing everything from jeans to slacks. Yes, black shirts are in...(no comment).

The 3 guys that went/rode with our son wore slacks, jeans(nice), and one showed up in shorts (but when he saw his buddies, decided to go home and change). Black shirts are the uniform!

One thing I thought was cool; all the girls made the guys a bootenier/flower (sp?) and the guys made the girls their mums (with mom's help)....saved a bunch of money for the parents....they turned out great!

Girls wanted to go to fancy Sushi restaurant....but deferred to the guys....those boys EAT!!!! Ended up at a Chinese buffet/restaurant....

It's much easier with boys!

#8 ·
Thanks! Sounds like no rules apply. I just want him to look nice. His girl (just friends, so he says) is wearing a dress, but she is low maintenance and cool with whatever.

I think we need to just get him some clothes that fit his tall/slim/fit body, not too baggie. Last year he went as a freshman with some of his soccer buddies, they looked horrible in their regular shirts (too big for their tall/slim build) and ties that they were very uncomfortable wearing.

#10 ·
A rubber! Oh wait, that's senior prom, sorry. :headknock

(just what you wanted to hear, right?)

Seriously though, my niece went last night and the guys were pretty much business casual (slacks/dockers and button down) - a blazer is pretty common. The girls got all dressed up like a prom even still, some of the boys wore blue jeans. It's high school...

#15 ·
OK this is a pet peeve of mine

I'm sick and tired of going out to dinner on weekends and seeing lovely young well dressed ladies in their teens and even twenties accompanied by what looks like their little brothers....T shirt, shorts, flip flops or running shoes, ball cap. This is after dark.

OK so my lady says...."its the girls' fault...some of them need to meet the boys at the door and tell them to go home and come back when they've learned how to dress for a date"

So, all you prom daughter moms and dads out there. If your little girl looks like an an elegant young lady and some bozo shows up in jeans....no jacket, etc for the prom. Send him home for a change....or better yet, let him know in advance what you as the girls' parents expect.

#16 ·
I used to work at a place that attracted a lot of special occasions like prom, homecoming etc. I would see a lot of tuxes but most of them were similiar to the ill fitting ones seen at the NBA draft. Tophats, canes, tails, etc. I hope their parents took lots of pics, they were ridiculous. I would say neutral colored suit and tie that matches dress. Jeans, please guys, would your kids like it if the girls wore jeans? It is a once in a lifetime event, dress accordingly. I think a tux is overkill for homecoming but a tasteful one for prom is appropriate. The up-do's my wife does for these occasions costs more than a tux rental anyways, think about the girls impressions and expectations. Also, watch to make sure the boys open the doors and understand they are footing the bill for the night or this will be the last excursion. Seems like this got lost somewhere.

#17 ·
I used to work at a place that attracted a lot of special occasions like prom, homecoming etc. I would see a lot of tuxes but most of them were similiar to the ill fitting ones seen at the NBA draft. Tophats, canes, tails, etc. I hope their parents took lots of pics, they were ridiculous. I would say neutral colored suit and tie that matches dress. Jeans, please guys, would your kids like it if the girls wore jeans? It is a once in a lifetime event, dress accordingly. I think a tux is overkill for homecoming but a tasteful one for prom is appropriate. The up-do's my wife does for these occasions costs more than a tux rental anyways, think about the girls impressions and expectations. Also, watch to make sure the boys open the doors and understand they are footing the bill for the night or this will be the last excursion. Seems like this got lost somewhere.
I agree with this. That is exactly why I asked the question. I think my son needs to go to the extra effort to be as well put together.

Funny story - When we arrived at her house a few weeks ago, I told him to go to the door to get her. He said that he would text her to let her know we were there. I told him no, go to the door. He went to the door and she chastised him for coming to the door and not texting her. She was not ready and was petrified that her dad would invite my son in and questions him, which he should have done. Her dad is an investigator for the DAs office. It would be good for my son. They are "just friends" according to my son and never alone, so I don't suspect any funny business at this time, but a little brow beating by dad would still be good.

#22 ·
Well I guess it's time for me to show my ignorance again, so I have got a question to ask that I have asked quite a few people, and have yet to get what I would consider a correct answer.
What does "Homecoming" actually mean or stand for, or symbolize?
I know there is a football game, a dance, a homecoming King and Queen, and everyone celebrates, but why and what for????
Not meaning to be a smartarse, I just would like to know what it is supposed to stand for.
Surely some of my fellow 2coolers know.

Tinman

#25 ·
WE JUST WENT THREW THIS WITH MY SON. MY WIFE FOUND HIM A SPORTS KIND OF SUTE AT JP PENNYS ON SALE. GOT A GOOD DEAL WITH A COUPON. LESS TYHAT A $100. THE GUY THERE SAID NOT TO WERE BLACK OR WHITE SHIRT. THAT WAS FOR FUNERALS AND WEDDINGS. WE ALSO TALKED TO THE GIRLS MOM AND SHE JUST WENT THREW THIS WITH HER OLDER ONES. THE GIRLS BUYS ONE THING AND THE GUY BUYS THE OTHER AND DINER BUT I CANT REMEMBER. GOOD LUCK. ...SS

#27 · (Edited)
My sophmore son is attending his 2nd Homecoming dance this year, this weekend. He was asked by girls from 2 different schools. He attends neither school. Knows one from church and the other through friends.
He wore a nice black long sleeve shirt (patterned with a little white in it) with a white tie, black slacks, and black and white Vans for shoes and was fine. Wearing something along the same line this weekend. I hope this is the last one he goes to this year. One per year no problem, but 2 plus gets a little exspensive. Mums, dinner, corsage, photos, etc.
Lots of kids wore black, white, colors, jeans, etc. They went with a big group of kids to dinner etc.

#29 ·
Homecoming

Just don't let him dress like a pimp, a bum or thug. Classy is always better no matter what the occasion.

Funny story on the post about Cowboy Boots.

My Aunt was getting married bout 20 yrs ago and told the whole party that NO COWBOY BOOTS allowed. The messed up part is that my Grand Father, her dad, owned a very popular Custom Boot Shop in Raymondville. For this wedding, he made everyone in the wedding party Custom Boots and all the family some very nice custom boots. The morning of the wedding is when my Aunt said no boots.

At 2pm, when ceremony was to start...nobody showed up. At 2:15, she called panicked and said everyone could wear their boots. At 2:30 the whole family was down for the ceremony. She will never say that again. Guaranteed. I still have those boots, I had size 3's then. Mine were of Rattlesnake. IN fact, I think I have every boot my grandfather ever made me. Made one pair a year at least per year for about 20 years until he got ill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.