2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Good shark and bull leaders

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Dick Hanks 
#1 ·
This summer i intend to do a good amount of shark and bull red fishing. What are some good leaders and how do make them? I prefer to use circle hooks. I am primarily going after large bull reds, > 35 inchs, and sharks in the 5-9 foot range. Also will be casting them and not yaking them out.

Thanks
Pat

#3 ·
hand made,12 foot shark leaders. these leaders consist of 6 foot 480 lbs red vinyl coated stainless steel cable 6 foot 400 lbs red mono(.095 weed eater line) 16/0 red plastic coated Mustad 39960 hook Rig also contains a fish finder slide for your weight. All crimps are hydraulically produced to ensure even pressure across the entire crimp

$3.75 each or 3 for $15.00

#5 ·
I got some 600 lb cable and swivels and 18/0 circle hooks at ftu and made about 4.5 long with that stuff. Then i picked up some green weed eater line at berings and made one with it. Does anyone know a good way to cut strong cable? I had to use my dremel to cut the cable for mine.

#10 ·
I got some 600 lb cable and swivels and 18/0 circle hooks at ftu and made about 4.5 long with that stuff. Then i picked up some green weed eater line at berings and made one with it. Does anyone know a good way to cut strong cable? I had to use my dremel to cut the cable for mine.
I was having the same problem. Regular wire cutters or bolt cutters tend to deform or fray the ends of the cable making it difficult to push the end into a crimp.

I found a cable cutter at a farm supply store. It is about the size of a large pair of pliers. I have used it to cut coated 360# 49 strand and it made a perfect, uniform cut. As easily as it cut the 360#, it should handle up to 600#. It is a "single use" tool, but it only cost about $12.
It is made from a high carbon steel so it will rust fast if you get saltwater on it. Don't ask how I know this.

#9 ·
My mistake shouldn't make posts when you are extremely HUNG OVER Price should be $3.75 each or 3 for $9.00 including shipping not $15.00.
These can be casted out using a 10 or 12 foot pole with out a problem. You can take the eye of the hook and place it on a leg of your spider weight and it makes the leader length 6 foot and is very easy to cast .
Charlie (M.T.P0ckets)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.