2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Generac Generator Battery Problem

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  nightgigger 
#1 ·
I have a Generac Standby Generator for about 4 years now and just found that for the second time I have had it, the starting bettery had blown up (literally). The top was blown out and plastic everywhere and the battery acid had eaten up some of the paint inside. It happened about two years ago also but not sure if it was winter or what time of the year.

Any idea on why a battery would blow up? Possibly overcharging? I do know it was around 2 years since it did it the first time and thought bad battery, but strange it has occured again two years later. Never had a battery blow up before in an auto. It was an auto type battery and rated for more amps than needed just in case. I am going to go get me another tomorrow, but still concerned as to why it is doing this? Any Generac people here that can shed any light to this issue?

#2 ·
With two different batteries blowing up it rules out a defective battery. Over charging is the likely culperate. You can check it by putting an amp meter to the wires going to the battery. If the circuit reads between 12-13.5 volts, then your circuit is not shutting off like it should when the battery becomes fully charged. If it is above the voltage is not being regulated properly.

#3 ·
Yea, kikda wondered that also, however, it seems like it would have blown up before 2 years by being overcharged all the time? Maybe not and overcharge and some other factor hit its breaking point? I will check the voltage, but even cars sometimes charge to much over 12 volts without blowing up a battery or at least I thought so? Possible charging when battery is fully charge and still keeps charging but even then, why would it wait two years before blowing up. I still agree, it seems like an overcharge issue in my thinking.

#5 ·
Checked with a good digital volt meter, a battery showing 12.7 volts is fully charged. One reading 12.0 volts has 25% or less of it's charge. A battery blows up because the plates short out internally. Vibration is the number one culprit. I have had batteries less than 6 months blow, and some as old as 4 years. You didn't say whether the batteries were sealed or not, but if they are the kind you can add water too, letting them run low on water will make them where they can't be charged right and bulge or break. If it were mine, I would put a new sealed type battery in it, and crank it up and see if something is shaking the battery.

#7 ·
This was a sealed battery. It was a Wal Mart battery although one of their better ones. Of course the generator does have some vibration, but woudn't think enough to harm a battery as it is sitting on the bottom of the generator on the plate and it sits on a concrete slab. I will check into a different type of battery. When I get another one, I will also check the voltage. I believe even sealed batteries can eventually get low on acid don't they? I will check to see about mounting a cushion under the battery when I go get me a new one to help vibration also.

Thanks Mont for the suggestions, and Bobby, for knowing where I bought this battery. :)

#8 ·
Generac Generator

This was a sealed battery. It was a Wal Mart battery although one of their better ones. Of course the generator does have some vibration, but woudn't think enough to harm a battery as it is sitting on the bottom of the generator on the plate and it sits on a concrete slab. I will check into a different type of battery. When I get another one, I will also check the voltage. I believe even sealed batteries can eventually get low on acid don't they? I will check to see about mounting a cushion under the battery when I go get me a new one to help vibration also.

Thanks Mont for the suggestions, and Bobby, for knowing where I bought this battery. :)
Did you figure out why your battery was blowing up in your generator? I replaced mine two years ago and went out Monday to find this blown up. Thanks!

#9 ·
Two different people with batteries blown up in generators in a short time.
sounds kind of odd. it might be a defective charging circuit. (or lighting).
With the new battery in, I would check the charging voltage and charging time.
Also check with google and see if others are having the same issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.