2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Cool pic

6K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  johnmyjohn 
#1 ·
Here is an image that i found last week in a document that I was reading. It details the Colorado River delta at the town of Matagorda from between 1855 to present, showing that in 1855 the Colorado emptied straight into an open bay (not the East West seperated bays we have now...) pretty cool history.
thought i'd share.

The small rectangular grid at the top of each inset is actually the town of Matagorda.
T

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I can remember stories from my grandpa that when there was only a muddy one lane road to go to the beach. You would have to have a car load of guys and if you met another car the guys would lift the car to the side of the road and let one car by and then move the car back onto the road.

#19 ·
I remember when I was a kid standing at the waters edge on the Galveston side and could tell there were autos on the other side. Now you can just about make out the brands and the what people are wearing. Before they moved the road closer to the bay approaching the toll booth you still couldn't see the beach from the old road. Someone help me on this one but if my teenager mind didn't fail me I figured the old road to be about where the beach is between the toll booth and the water tower. That would put the beach at least 1/4 mile out in the water?

#10 ·
Agriculture sped up the process of the river delta by turning praries into fields thus increasing the amount of erosion, therefore the river started to carry more and more sediment causing the river delta to prograde. It would be cool to do some research on what the population was and dam construction along the river at this time.

#13 ·
You wander why you see so much silt fence around construction sites...Now the Silt fence is only a Micro Example, but it help to connect the dots. Farming, ranching, construction etc...Anything really that disturbs and displaces soild causes this. Whats really cool is to see Googgle Earths New Feature that allows you look at a present day image and then scroll back into the past. Things are always changing and rapidly...Thanks Tobin, I love that stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.