2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Beef Jerky-New Dehydrator

6K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Haute Pursuit 
#1 ·
I just bought a new dehydrator from Academy. Nothing fancy, but wanted to make some beef jerky with it. Can anyone tell me what the best cut of meat and how to go about making it. And if you know of any good rubs or marinades/recipes that would be very helpful too. Thanks, and Tight Lines

#9 ·
IMO, when making jerky, the cut of meat really doesn't matter. For me the cheaper the better, but I almost always use venison for my jerky. Academy sells High Mountain jerky seasoning, it is very good, but it is around $5 per packet and it makes about 10 lbs of wet meat. No cooking, just dehydration, which can be done in the oven. I use a dehydrator, it does take care of all of the "cooking" part.

#12 ·
I always use venison,partially freeze it and slice it very thin. I marinate the meat a couple of hours, stirring occasionally and make sure all the meat is covered by the marinade. Here's my recipe...

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
a good squirt of ketchup
a good squirt of bbq sauce
1/2 teaspoon coarse pepper...or more it you want hotter
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion salt

#13 ·
If I don't have any deer to make jerky with, I go to the grocery store and pick out about a 3.5 lb rump roast and have them slice it about 1/4". I trim out the big parts of fat and cut the meat into smaller pieces. A simple rub I did this weekend was Fiesta brand Season-All, then sprinlkle on brown sugar, rub it in then add cayenne pepper for some heat. After I finish seasoning I vacuum seal the raw meat to accelerate the marinating process. After about 3 hours I dehydrate or smoke the meat in my electric smoker. The batch from this weekend was about my best yet.

#14 ·
I have successfully used faijtas for jerky, but London Broil works real good. Cut into strips, remove as much fat as possible. take a bottle of Teriyaki, add some Brown sugar and marinate it overnight. Sprinkle your favorite jerky rub on it, put in dehydrator until done. Tastes great.

#15 ·
well i mostly make jerky with wild game but i found that if you marinate the meat in soy sauce, worchestershire sauce,garlic powder,cayenne pepper and sugar you come out with a tasty batch i smoke mine for a hour or two and then finish it with the dehydrator. this recipe has worked wonders for deer and turkey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.