2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Garmin g2 Vision Card - Is it worth the money?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Gottagofishin 
#1 ·
I sell a lot of new Garmin marine units and often get asked if the optional BlueChart g2 Vision SD card is worth the extra $320.00. That depends on you but let me tell you one of the neatest things having the g2 Vision card can do for your unit.

When you first got your new Garmin unit (I'm talking about the 400/500, and the 4000 and 5000 series here) it took you through a setup routine that included asking you what the safe depth your boat could draw and also the safe height. When you finished this setup the unit saved this information in its internal memory. Now when you add the BlueChart g2 Vision card and you want to navigate to a spot - say one of my Angler Products East Matagorda Bay Fishing Hotspots - from Matagorda Harbor - the unit will calculate the best route for you to follow to get there and draw a deep magenta (pink) line indicating exactly where to drive your boat to get there safely. Let's say you want to go to Oyster Farm from the Harbor. You would press the Where To? Button, highlight the waypoint for Oyster Farm and then choose Guide To on the choices. A line will now appear showing you how to get out of the harbor to the ICW, where to turn at Old Gulf Cut and how to get across the bay safely avoiding all of the reefs, pilings and known wrecks. Note: It won't show you the crab traps or floating logs so pay attention. In other words, these new units, with the addition of the g2 Vision card will now guide you much like the units in your automobiles do.

This is just one of the functions that the g2 Vision card adds to your new unit. And this one alone is why I still consider the newest Garmin's to be the current state of the art in marine chartplotters.

See less See more
#5 ·
If you run around alot in unknown bay systems I could see it being usefull. I have it in my off shore boat and would have to say it is pretty much useless in the gulf.

The Garman touch screen is extreemly easy to use even in rough water and I would have to say that it is the best GPS out there for ease of use. It can perform about five different tasks in the time it takes to do one on most gps units.

#6 ·
Just bought a Garmim GPSMAPS 440 (listed by Salty Sam here on 2cool) preloaded with Bluechart g2 (not g2 vision). Capt John, since the unit hasn't arrived yet, I'm wondering if the g2 detail will suffice. All I'm really looking for are depth contours and rocks/structure. I fish the upper laguna and baffin. Was thinking of buying your hotspots sd card for this area also. Your thoughts?

#7 ·
The detail preloaded on your 440S excellent for navigating. The g2 Vision just adds more functionality, 3D imagery, aerial photos, auto-route function and provides bathymetric data for offshore fishing. If you know how to use the last function the g2 Vision card can really help you learn how to read the bottom offshore. In fact, the g2 Vision card is a real help to offshore enthusiast when properly setup and used.

The main reason I'm pushing the g2 Vision cards right now is the $200.00 rebate Garmin is offering for most of their units right now. At $300.00 the g2 Vision is a nice add on. At $100.00 you're getting a lot for a little.

For those that aren't quite sure what bathymetric is (I can't even spell it without looking it up) here's the definition: (On the g2 vision this is the Fishing Chart.)

A bathymetric chart is the submerged equivalent of an above-water topographic map. Bathymetric charts are designed to present accurate, measurable description and visual presentation of the submerged terrain.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info. I wonder if my GPS purchage and g2 vision purchase needed to be at the same time... can I buy the g2 vision and still get the rebate now that I've already purchased the GPS unit? If so, do I need to buy it from the same place?

Also, how 'bout those hot spots? I'm a little confused on your site. Looks like you only offer Galveston, pre and post Ike? Or is that the entire coast?

#9 ·
Thanks for the info. I wonder if my GPS purchage and g2 vision purchase needed to be at the same time... can I buy the g2 vision and still get the rebate now that I've already purchased the GPS unit? If so, do I need to buy it from the same place?

Also, how 'bout those hot spots? I'm a little confused on your site. Looks like you only offer Galveston, pre and post Ike? Or is that the entire coast?
You need to purchase the Garmin unit (400 or 500 series) and the g2 Vision card between April 3 and May 31, 2009. You don't need to buy them at the same time or from the same place. You just need a receipt showing you purchased the products in the required timeframe. You also need the bar code off your 440 box. Here's the link to Garmins rebate form: http://www8.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/pdfs/g2andChartplotter_2009.pdf

I offer Galveston post Ike fishing numbers on my website. I also offer all of the other bay areas from our coast from South Padre thru Calcasieu. These are not post Ike numbers. Also offered are many of our inland lakes, Hiltons Offshore number and very soon, Rik Jacobsens numbers.

I have just signed a deal with Hook n Line maps to convert all of their fishing numbers into file formats that can load into most GPS units on the market. The Galveston numbers are the first numbers from our joiint venture. When the rest come out I'll let you know but there will be a modest price increase and the numbers will no longer be offered i a dmail format. They'll only be available on a preloaded card.

Sorry about the confusion on my website. A new site should be up any day now.

Let me know if I can help.

#10 ·
I have a 540S with the G2 Vision card. The screen resolution on my 540 isn't good enough to really take advantage of it. It also slows the unit down a lot when using the satellite imagery. With a higher resolution screen like on the 545 the imagery might be somewhat useful.

I've also found the depths in West Bay to be off by enough to make a difference. For example, a big chunk of the south shore line is labeled as 0 to 1 ft where the water is consistently 2 to 4 feet deep. There are also several reefs that don't show up at all.

It all sounds cool, but to be honest I never have used any of the features on the card other than to play around with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.