2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Nueces River White Bass Report

9K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  GrumboJumbo 
#1 ·
Put in at the highway 59 bridge on Sunday morning and went about 5 miles downstream. Most boats were catching their limit on white bass. Most white bass were females in the neighborhood of 16". No crappie were being taken although several boats were trying hard. White bass were taken by boats trolling the channel. Others were fishing road runners in brush piles near the banks. Others were jiggin minnows in search of crappie.

Fished San Miguel Creek just west of choke canyon the day before. Several fisherman were catching a few white bass but most were males in the 9-11" range. Only a few females were caught. Females were approximately 12-14". Large Crappie were being taken out of San Miguel Creek. Both white bass and crappie were being taken on white or white and silver road runners with red jig heads. Caught 2 large catfish jigging minnows.

My buddy and I were fly fishing until the wind kicked up.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
We fished the Nueces on Sunday afternoon. Put in at the Airport ramp and went up toward the rapids. Throwing jigs, we boxed a bunch and threw a lot back. Didn't catch any undersized. About half males and half females. Some of the females were good and ripe while others had spawned out. Water temp was 70-72.

The Nueces is notorious for small whites, but this year has been an exception.

Fished San Miguel the Sunday before (Feb. 13th) from above the bridge to the confluence with the Frio. Fished jigs in holes and trolled Shad Raps and Rattletraps in deeper stretches. Didn't catch a single fish. Water temp was 53 to 56.

#6 ·
Ranger 374v,
We fished the Nueces in George West, Texas which is about 2+ hours south of San Antonio off of I37. George West is between San Antonio and Chorpus Christy. We are heading back this weekend for some more action. I'll submit another post when I get back. The females we caught were all huge, fat, slabs. I would estimate most were 14 to 17 inches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.