2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Power to Christmas Lights on a Golf Cart????

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bug_Power 
#1 ·
What would be the easiest way to power christmas lights on a golf cart? We have a 48v Club Car and want to decorate with christmas lights.

Thanks in advance,

Tight Lines.

#3 ·
Inverters

Note that the units shown use 12VDC to convert to AC. If you use one of those, just be sure you tap the batteries at 12VDC and not the full 48. 48VDC will fry the inverter.

They are most likely 12 volt batteries that are series wired (pos to neg to pos to neg, etc) to achieve the 48 volts. You should be able to clip on to the terminals on just one of the batteries and get 12 volts.

If they are 24 volt batteries or higher, you need more advice than I can give without getting in there with a volt meter.

I am sure someone out there knows this stuff better than I do. Hopefully they will chime in here.
Bob

#4 ·
a Club Car should have six 8V batteries for a total of 48V.

you either need:

voltage reducer (wire across 2 batts to convert 16V to 12V)
voltage converter (wire across all batts to convert 48V to 12V)
or an accesory 12V battery and no reducer/converter needed

once you get down to 12V, you need an inverter to convert 12V DC to 110AC

all that is too much trouble (and expense) for some christmas lights.

I was looking and came across this website:

battery powered LED strings: (only require 3AA batts)
http://www.inirgee.com/catalog/battery_operated_547009_products.htm

12V lights:
http://www.inirgee.com/catalog/12-volt_515956_products.htm

take a pic when you get done!

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice thus far. I don't know much about this at all...........what if i connect the 12v to 110 inverter by at the main positive post and the main negative so in effect taping into 12v.

What do you think? Will that work. It would be tapping into the first positive post prior to connecting all the batteries together and the last negative post.

Thanks again, I will take photos and post. Don't look for anything too fancy tough, lol!!!

Tight Lines.

#8 ·
It Will Not Work - you have a club car, they use 8V batteries - by wiring across 2 batts, that is 16V and will fry your inverter.

if you don't know what you are doing, I would recommend checking out the link I posted above (LED lights powered by Double-A batteries) - no muss, no fuss and no sparks

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.