2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Buying shrimp right off the boat?

6K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  tooshallow17 
#1 ·
I have heard of people buying shrimp off of the shrimp boats in the bay. I would like to get some table shrimp. What is the proper etiquette for approaching boats and doing this. Obviously you wouldn't approach one with nets in the water but do you need to find one that is anchored?

#3 ·
Works great offshore, not so sure about inshore...

A couple of cases of cheap beer are far better currency than dollars when those guys have been bouncing around in the hot gulf for 2 weeks.

I guess you could circle an anchored boat a few times and see if someone comes out. Doubt it would be worth their time though. The Deal you are looking for would probably be somewhere between wholesale and retail and I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle for the shrimper.

#8 ·
The trading used to work ,but only off shore...The bay boats are either live bait shrimpers or working for the seafood markets and generally not interested in getting rid of their catch....I think "Buying from the boats" in your case, would mean from the docks...there are shrimpers that will sell their catch at the dock when they come in ,usually these are relatively small shrimpers with only a couple of hundred pounds to sell...and it's gone quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.