2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Outboard jet

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  pmgoffjr 
#1 ·
I bought my first outboard jet the other day, and are just wondering what to expect? It's a 13' aluminum scooter with a tunnel and it has a 95 Nissan 60hp jet which I assume makes the foot a 40hp. What I'm wondering is if the boat is running full speed, how far out of the water is the actual jet outlet supposed to be? I don't want to move it if I don't have to because it will literally run in 3in of water. But it does not turn very well you have to do some leaning to actually get it to turn, also the top speed is only about 24 mph, is this normal? Anyway here is the boat and any help would be appreciated thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
lI have run jets for a while, here's what we've learned.

Take the grate out completely. Turns into a weedeater. I just carry a big screwdriver to dislodge oyster shells if I suck one up, no biggie.

Take the reverse gate junk off, it's useless.

Get a sack of the plastic sleeves, when you need to shim the impeller, nice to have them handy. Also, dismantle everything and apply antisieze to everything that fits.

The little wings they sell at outboard jets will help with rough water cavitating.

And you'll get used to lack of steering control, they won't turn for garbage, but they will slide around pretty good once you learn how.

#6 ·
My scooter is 14.5 ft and has a 90 hp motor. Top speed is 33, so yours sounds about right. I wouldn't change the jet height if it is already set. It'll be a fuel hog, but they're tons of fun to run. One of the things I like is being able to set the boat down in the very back of a hard sand flat, to where it is only floating if you aren't on it. I'll just stand beside it with the kill switch on me, turn the wheel, and throttle it. As it spins up, I just step on it and straighten the wheel, and we're off. Very handy.

Welcome to the scooter trash club LOL

#11 ·
You can also flip a boat if the reverse part engages at just the wrong time as you're sliding through a corner....so as above, take it off.

The impellers also need to have a new edge put on them fairly often to keep at top power. I used to run them in rivers, but imagine the oyster shell can wear the edge down as rocks do.

I'm not familiar with running w/o a grate, but with it even little twigs can mess with things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.