2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Mold on AC Vents

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wish2fish 
#1 ·
I have black mold on my ac vents. I have taken a few off and it is not real bad but noticeable.

What do I need to do with this?

Can I spray water/bleach at these openings to kill what is there? I am cleaning/replacing the vents and that is how I noticed this.

The ac system is new and no mold detected elsewhere but perhaps this was from the old system? I am not sure if the duct work was replaced or not when the new system was put in so I am guessing there could be mold throughout the duct work but I am not sure.

#2 ·
When you have cold air entering a warmer/moist room, with an uninsulated metal register, there will be condensation form on the register which will allow mold growth. Your ducts and register boxes are insulated so should not have any condensation/mold growth. A solution of bleach water will kill and mold present. We live in a world surrounded by mold. It doesn't become apparent until it gets enough moisture to grow.

#3 ·
Lysol is very good for that application. Just spray it heavily around the inside of the vent boxes. Be aware that when that stuff dies, it will fall out as black pieces of "dirt". We get a lot of calls in the winter time about that because the heater does a good job of killing it too. If it's real heavy use a bathroom spray cleaner for mold, like Tilex mold formula. Bleach causes too many other issues. Use something designed specifically to spray on mold.

#5 ·
Thanks!!

I read that plain old white vinegar will kill mold so I did away with the bleach except to clean the actual vents.

I then sprayed straight white vinegar to kill the mold, let it dry, then hit is with Lysol.

I noticed only three of the vents out of the 15 or so I have had mold. Looks like those aren't insulated as the others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.