2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Fishing Poles on a flight?

732 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  texasislandboy 
#1 ·
Taking the family to Destin in July - flying on SouthWest. Want to take our fishing gear. Reels will go in Suitcases, but trying to figure out best way to get rods back and forth. Actually considering sending them UPS to the resort.
Dont know how I would get them on a plane as I have never even thought about it. About 5-6 7' bay rods and 3-4 short Hopper rods.

Ideas?

#3 ·
I would just buy a couple of travel rods, there are numerous carry on bags designed to hold rods (Fishpond etc), or pack the travel tubes in your checked bag. If you have to bring one piece rods, get one of those large pvc style rod tubes and check with the airline, you'll probably have to pay an extra fee.
I'll never forget one year we were at the airport leaving for Spring Break and some poor guy had to leave his 7' rod behind. Poor guy didn't have a rod tube or anything...

#4 ·
I've taken poles on many flights both in country and out and the bazooka type rod cases seem to hold up fairly well. Expect most airlines to charge you for an extra piece of luggage. I've heard horror stories but I never had any damage to my rods. One tip is to wrap your rod tips with cloth for the 1st 6/12 inches. Less stress if they can't move around.
Tight lines
1Fisher77316

#5 ·
Break down rods are the easiest, but you can take full size as well. You can build your case out of PVC pipe. Cap on one end and screw in plug on other. Use the light schedule pvc pipe.
The airlines will charge you an oversized fee, I think around $100 to 125. Check out their website for details

#6 ·
I have a travel case you can have. I was going to donate it to goodwill because it is taking up space and I hate selling stuff.

PM your contact and you can have it. It will hold plenty of rods and you can lock it. It will be treated just like golf clubs when you check in. 2 bags fly free with southwest.

I just got back from Puerto Vallarta and took a 3 piece rod from Cut rate in the 15 to 20 class. It was used in the surf and I am very impressed with it but it was pricey.

Manwitaplan

#7 ·
Just be aware that most airlines do not cover "sporting goods".
And never doubt they can destroy an Abrahms tank w/o any effort at all.
Bought a 2 piece Scott 9' fly rod back when anything other than 2 piece was rare.
In a heavy duty aluminium tube that could be used to club a rhino to death with.
They broke the rod into 4 pieces and flattened the tube.
That is when I found out they do not cover sporting goods.
Gotta read the fine print to find this out.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRIP!

#9 ·
google skb rod holders-big improvement over plano, flambeau,etc.-i have taken rods on trips many time and had no issues with this case-continental crushed a plano tube and busted 4 rods and i was sol - never been charged a fee on continental or united - always counted as a piece of luggage

#10 ·
6" pvc pipe with a cap on one end and a screw cap on the other. I paid a baggage fee for the length but it was nice to have my own rods while down in the keys. This was years ago not sure if its the same but planning on doing it when we go to costa rica later this year. The rods will make a one way trip I give them away to the guides as a tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.