2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Slow and Steady on Baffin

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  TexaswBOWhunter 
#1 ·
Headed out to Baffin this morning with the full expectation of dealing with the Spring Break crowd on daddy's boat. Thankfully it looks like the weather forecast kept them on land.

Started the morning off in the rain at Kleberg Point. Bites were few and far between and my 15 year old Goretex suit leaks. Wasn't a promising start. Hung around there until the rain cleared up then headed toward the south shoreline. Cruised around there a bit and didn't see a single sign of bait in the chocolate milkshake water. Crossed the bay to Point of Rock and found some better looking water on that end.

The wind couldn't decide which way it wanted to go and I ended up drifting the entire area without ever having to start the boat. Ended up with a solid box of 17"-20" trout for dinner. Caught a few nice fatties up to 23" that I turned loose. At one point there was a huge wake coming at me from a school swimming and I got pumped up thinking it might be some redfish. After a few unsuccessful casts it got close enough for me to realized it was a group of cow nose rays. Managed a couple rat reds that were hanging around the rays but no keepers.

CDL lures have been killing it lately. They're pretty good at enticing the bigger not so speckled trout into the boat.

All in all a good day and a heck of a dinner. Blackened trout smothered in shrimp etouffee.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.