2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Leak in Copper line between meter and house

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  My Little Big boat 
#1 ·
I discovered a leak between the water meter and the house. A plumber came out, dug up the line. It is a copper line and that had a 'sleeve' over it. He said Electrolysis cause a pin-hole leak. The leak was about two feet from the 'sleeve'. (The area with visible electrolysis was about 8" long)
He 'temporally fixed it by placing a rubber hose with two clamps over the area that was leaking.
He now says the whole line from the meter to the house needs to be replace. The house and line is 28 years old.
My question is can't we cut back to where the line is good and run new line (copper or PVC) to the meter? Or does it need to be replaced.

#2 ·
how much additional footage are you talking about to run the entire new line?

you could do as you are suggesting, but then you'll have an old line sweated to a new line - the old line will still be susceptible to the same problem you currently have...and likely is already seen some electrolysis.

#7 ·
Had the same deal a couple of years back.. You will be surprised at how far them little 'pin' holes in the copper can stretch.. Water bill hopped from 100 to 500 overnight it seemed.. Replace the whole thing with PVC...now or later..

#14 ·
I had similar and worst issue. The leak was under the slab and it was on the hot water line. Two plumbers came and after looking at it they did not come back. They both said it was common in Houston homes before the new building codes now not allowing them to run copper line in slab any more. Builders did that to short cut and maximize profit.

My pay my brother-in-law, who was a jack of all trades, to fix it by sealing off the leaky line and run new lines in the ceiling. We had to remove cabinets and cut out dry walls to install new lines. It was a tough job, but we knew we did it right.

#15 ·
I had worked on a house several years ago ( like 20 years ago..) and the copper line was under the slab, it had one pin hole but you could see where it was coroded in other places. We recomended new lines need to be run or it would happen agin, Home owner just wanted to fix the problem so we cut out 3' and replaced. 6 months later we were back and he said to run new lines like we suggested.

I can almost promise you if not replaced you will be dealing with it agin. Like others have said, 3/4" PVC from meter to house above ground level if possable and your in business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.