2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Which Hooks Work Best with Croaker?

14K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  lazywader 
#1 ·
My brother-in-law and I went out yesterday out of Bird Island, and headed south. We hit a couple of spots at the mouth of Baffin, and ended up with 5 trout to 21". Then headed north to the Lower Laguna (just south of Emmords) and caught another 5 trout to 22". All in all it was a good day, but we could have caught two full limits. The problem... missed hookups.

We fished with croaker, and I was using 3/0 circle hooks, and hooking up around 60% of the time (catching 7 of the 10 total), and my brother-in-law was only hooking up around 25% of the time (only catching the other 3), with smaller hooks. We'd both allow the fish to take the bait (free-lining) for a good 10 seconds before trying the hookset.

I don't think it was a technique problem, I think it may have been a hook problem. Which hooks work best for you? And at that, which techniques when fishing with croaker (in case I was doing something wrong)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help but wonder if any of the missed hookups wouldv'e been worth a boat or truck (CCA-STAR).......

#2 ·
I use size 3 or 4 mustad croaker hooks depending on the size of the bait and haven't had much of an issue.

I usually do a carolina rig with a very light little slip weight above the swivel to kind of hold the croaker down just a little bit and then give him a couple of feet of fleuro leader so he has move to swim around and attract some attention.

#7 ·
The Marshall said:
don't set the hook ...real down to it and just let it happen
So, are you saying that I should not pull hard at any point?
What is your success rate doing it like this?

I'm willing to try anything if it will improve the catch rate. Some of the missed hookups felt real strong.... Especially one of them (I think it was a big red), but if it was a trout.... that one woulda been reeeeaaaaaalllly nice.

#9 ·
psalty said:
Yo Warcat, 7/10 is 70% and sounds pretty successful to me. I'd be tickled to have that rate. Keep up the good work.
Yeah, but I had more than 10 hits.... I guess i didn't explain it well in the original post. I did miss about 40-50% of the potential fish.

I'd like to be able to bring them all in, at least for a looksee... but I guess no one is THAT good. I'm really just looking for advice on brands/ sizes/ types of hooks you all are most successful with...

#10 ·
i've had good luck with owner mutu light circle hooks for fishing with all kinds of live baitfish from crappie minnows to large piggies and croaker. i think the key is hooking them somewhere in the head because most fish eat other fish head first. i usually put the hook in the baitfish's mouth and come up and out between the eyes. it also keeps them alive much longer than hooking them behind the dorsal and dragging them backwards. and as stated before u don't want to set the hook. just reel tight and and when u know u have them give it a little pop. it definately takes practive and patience to fish with circles but it sounds like you're doing something right.....thomas

#14 ·
Don't worry about sharpening hooks. Replace it if the point gets knocked off. What you need to be using are 5/0,6/0 then 7/0 kahle/croaker hooks. I start the season with 5's and as the croaker get bigger move to 7's. I'll use whatever brand I grab. Mustad or Eagle Claw. The EC lazer points come out of the box pretty sharp, but will get the point taken off easy. Mustad's aren't as sharp but don't dull as easy. So it's six of one half a dozen of the other.
As for the missed hook ups. It happens. Nothing more frustrating than to have a good run, set the hook and see a big one froth the surface, only to have croaker and hook go flying. Or how about the second most frustrating. Make a good long run just to drop it and loose interest. It's apparent that a trouts instict to grab that croaker is strong. But why it won't swallow it and just wants to swim around with it in its mouth for a little while is beyond me. I would like to develope the "Croaker Cam" to help solve this delima but funding for the project has been diverted by the Entertainment committee.

#15 ·
If they don't have the point bent to one side already, you can try that. Some brands of circle hooks come that way off the shelf. Others do not. DaParson had a thread on here a while back showing the technique. It certainly helped my hookup ratio on hybrid stripers here on Belton. Also, make sure you match the hook size to the bait size, not the quarry size. As the shad here grow through the year we continually upsize our hooks. We go from a #1 early in the year for 2"-2 1/2" baits to a 5/0 in the summer when the average bait runs 4 1/2" to 6".

Like the others said, don't set the hook. Just bring it tight and keep constant pressure. Circle hooks work when the fish's mouth is closed. If you bring a fish to the boat and can't see the hook in its lip, get the net under it before it opens its mouth. A lot of times, especially with larger baits, a fish will have the bait in its gullet and when you pull him up and he opens his mouth and shakes the bait and hook will just pop out.

SHARP, SHARP, SHARP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.