2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Crappie fishing locations?

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  RedFlounderBass 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, im new to this site (recommended by a friend) been in houston for 7 years and finally getting back into the fishing groove. Where are there good spots for crappie and bass in the area? Im working on gettting a kayak but for now shore fishing will have to get me by.

#3 ·
What's the "B Dam"?

Crappie are in spawn mode right now. You can tell in Texas anytime you can see pollen on the ground or vehicles it is crappie spawn time and the crappie are shallow for the most part breeding shallow. The males sit on the nests and the big females hang out close by in deeper water sometimes. Any creek or bank with grass, sticks, structure, etc. will hold crappie.
Somerville Nails and Yegua Creeks are holding now. Lake Houston Luces Bayou or Gibbons Creek fish the shallows and standing timber.
Good luck.

#4 ·
Crappie are not spawning yet on Lake Austin. Water is stained and holding at 62 degrees. Some fish may be confused because of the recent lowering of the lake by 10' then refilling from the bottom of Lake Travis. 7 of 10 fish have partially or fully developed egg sacks but we are not seeing any activity on the bank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
bank fishing for crappie is hard to come by in these parts. For the spawn, the only ones I know of are on lake Conroe.

1. Stubblefield Rd at the extreme northern part of the lake. There is a wooden bridge that people fish off of and can walk the banks.
http://goo.gl/maps/7LYGpmtM8yD2

2. FM 1097 where it crosses the Little Lake Creek arm of the lake.
http://goo.gl/maps/ePrza15S3pJ2

In the fall, you can fish some of the creeks around lake sommerville and catch some crappie from the bank. Walk Yegua, Nails and Birch Creeks and toss up next to laydowns and brush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.