2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Grim fish report from east of Sabine Pass

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Trouthappy 
#1 ·
This Wednesday mid-week fish report comes from Capt. Pete in Beaumont. He won't be fishing the rigs east of Sabine Pass the rest of this summer. (Once bitten, twice shy). At least not without a meter that measures oxygen levels in seawater. Why fish in bad water? Most Texans who fish offshore are lucky they're not in the Mississippi River runoff, that stretches to Sabine Pass every summer, with some years worse than others—though it's pretty much become the norm, compared to a few years ago.

Beaumont Pete: I wish I had a good report to convey, but that's not the case. We hit the Phillips rig (where sadly only the big triple rig remains and the water was beautiful deep green with a nice north to south current and a gentle south wind, so we could drift real slowly or go wherever we wanted on the trolling motor. You could easily see a spoon ten feet down, it sure looked like king water to me. We got two hardheads and a sand trout. Something hit my big spoon while falling but I didn't hook up. Could been a little king or a Spanish.

After a couple of unproductive and frustrating hours there, we
headed out to the Tenneco rig where I got a bluefish and two blue runners
on a spoon. About a mile or so south of the Phillips rig, the water went
from deep green to cobalt blue and was like that the rest of the day. We
trolled the blue runners for awhile and never got a strike. Everyplace we
stopped, we saw nothing on the depth finder. We hit a couple of the little
rigs near the Tenneco and then headed over to the flare rig. Still no fish
on the depth finder. We made numerous drifts with blue runners, pogies,
cigar minnow and were throwing spoons and other artificials. We had a few
strikes with decent fish, but always managed to lose them somehow. I think
we may have been hypnotized by the boredom and we so shocked when we
actually got a strike that we screwed up. Anyway, it was a long and frustrating
day and I feel like were in dead zone water all day. :headknock

Nobody seems to want to believe me when I tell them that. But I've been in it enough times that I think I recognize it when I see it. We had beautiful water, great current, nice gentle wind and we didn't see any surface action anywhere. No schools of small spanish busting the surface, no bonita, no free jumping kings, no spade fish, no minnows around the rigs, no birds, no dolphins, no marauding schools of jacks, no nothing! Oh, we did catch a small Atlantic shovelnose shark at the flare rig.

I hope I'm wrong about the dead zone but I think I may be spending an
inordinate amount of time at the jetties this summer, unless I hear
differently. :eek:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.