2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Kitchen Remodel

23K views 71 replies 26 participants last post by  texmexfishn 
#1 ·
I have a few projects this winter and spring that I will post. The first is a kitchen remodel on LL and the second is a boat rebuild. Since the kitchen remodel is in full swing, I will post that one first.

Let's start with the before pictures, it is typical 1970's kitchen:

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Saturday Update

Guys, thanks for the comments. I am ready to complete this project so I can get back to fishing!

Here is my weekend update on the kitchen remodel. First a couple of things I learned while doing this project. I used shark bite fittings for the water lines and they were incredible! They are a little expensive but in the grand scheme of things, well worth it.

I tried something new on these cabinets. When building cabinets, I have always used solid wood for the faces but decided to try birch/maple plywood for the face material this time. It actually worked out well and was a lot cheaper. Building the boxes is somewhat easy but the doors and drawers are time consuming. I was dreading that part of the project but found a few places online that will custom build the doors and drawers for you to your specs. I am getting nice rail and style raised panel doors that should really make the cabinets pop. They should arrive this week so I will update everyone on the quality and accuracy.

First, the fun from Saturday....Installed the crown at the ceiling and around the cabinets...it was a real pain since nothing in the house is square. I framed out the window but couldn't complete it since I ordered a raised panel for the front to match the doors. The last picture shows a close up of the detail before caulking the gaps.

Attachments

#11 ·
Sunday's Update

We have primer! As you can see, I sprayed the primer and will spray the top coats. The finished color will be an off-white, except for the sink base, island and window surround, which will be a dark brown. Sorry the pictures aren't great; I build a tent around the kitchen and can't step back far enough to get good shots.

Attachments

#12 ·
Another Weekend, another update

I am getting close...this weekend I topcoated the cabinets. Still have some painting and trim work to do around the window but need the door panels to arrive to do that. Also replaced the outlets and set the new appliances in place. Everything is ready for the granite company to come in to make the templates, which will hopefully happen this week.

Attachments

#14 ·
Thanks. After seeing the prices to have someone else do it, I decided to do it myself.

You can start small with tools and projects...before you know it, your wife will be urging you to buy more tools so you can build more stuff for her!

#18 ·
1/28 update

Definitely a lot of $$$$$ saved!

No pictures this week...the only things I did related to the kitchen was to put the microwave in place (opening next to the frig), relocate the power for the dishwasher and relocate the power for the stove. The rest of the weekend was spent working on boats.

I found a boat for my father in law so he came in to pick it up. We went through everything to make sure all was working, replaced the bearings, fixed the trailer lights, etc. He is ready to chase the crappie!

On Sunday, I worked on my boat trailer. I bought a boat without a trailer, then bought a trailer and had to adjust the bunks. I will post that project in the boat section.

#19 ·
Update 1/28 take two

I got in a little hurry when posting the last update (or maybe it was just the excitement of getting to play with the boats all weekend!)

I have actually finished everything I can do for now on the kitchen. I am waiting on the doors and drawers to arrive, then the granite installation. The doors shipped from Oregon on Friday and are scheduled to arrive on Thursday. If they do arrive then, I will shoot some primer on the ones that go above the sink and install that piece on the 2/2. That way, I can finish the trim and get a lot of the construction equipment back to storage and out of the way. I then have to modify some of the drawers (my wife wants an additional drawer or shelf installed in the larger drawers, will post a pic when that is done) and top coat all doors and drawers.

The granite is due on 2/11. I will hopefully wrap up the project the weekend of 2/16.

#20 ·
Doors are in!!!!!

I couldn't wait for the weekend to post the next update! Last night the doors and drawers came in. They look great and everything matched my measurements so the company did a great job. Since the drawers came unassembled, I spent about an hour last night putting them together...all that was needed was a little glue and a rubber mallet.

Attachments

#21 ·
Another weekend down!

Each weekend gets me closer to the finish line. I actually split my time between my boat and the kitchen this weekend and made good progress on both. On the boat, I fixed the wiring (and found that LED lights don't work on some newer vehicles with factory wiring harnesses because they always have voltage on the circuit to see if you have a light out), replaced the tires and bearings then dropped it off to have a new engine put in it.

On the kitchen, I installed the panel over the sink, primed the doors and painted them. I use an airless paint sprayer and it takes about 10 minutes a coat to paint all of them. This coming weekend I will hang the doors and jump over to my boat lift project...I am converting my sling lift to one with a cradle. The granite is scheduled to arrive on Monday.

Now for the pictures...first primer, then the top coat.

Attachments

#23 ·
What kind of airless sprayer are you using? Every one I've ever tried to use, in fact even air driven sprayers using compressors, seem to have a hard time spraying paint without becoming clogged. I've tried larger tips, thinning the paint, etc. but it just never seems to work. An airless sprayer that would lay down a nice smooth spray would be really handy to have around the house.

#25 ·
What kind of airless sprayer are you using? Every one I've ever tried to use, in fact even air driven sprayers using compressors, seem to have a hard time spraying paint without becoming clogged. I've tried larger tips, thinning the paint, etc. but it just never seems to work. An airless sprayer that would lay down a nice smooth spray would be really handy to have around the house.
I have a Graco Magnum XR7 that I bought from Home Depot. It is their professional model and set me back about $750 if I remember correctly. I don't thin the paint at all and it does a good job. I wipe the tip now and then to keep the drips from falling on whatever I am painting.

#27 ·
Made Some Progress

I was able to make some progress this weekend. I installed most of the doors and drawers (still have to coat the front of the dark ones but the weather didn't cooperate) and the backsplash and granite went in. I should be on track to finish the project this weekend and post the final product next week!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.