2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

West Bay 3/4/2017

6K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  shorty84 
#1 ·
Had a frustrating day of not catching fish. Thought I would get out on the water at daylight to fish the incoming tide and be back at the dock at noon to beat the storm, which worked out. Stopped at Fat Boys and bought some live shrimp, and we were off. Fished in the area between north and south deer island with live shrimps under popping corks, lil johns on jigs, top waters, and a 52MR. No bait fish or bird activity in the area, so we moved. Looked for signs of bait fish while we were going to the next spot and saw nothing. Got to the next spot in the middle of the bay and threw everything we had again with no luck. Decided to make a run out to chocolate bay to see if we could pick up some reds, but they weren't biting on anything we had to throw either (added in a spoon for good measure at this point). We started back to the dock and decided to check out the little canal to the east of Carancahua Lake with the mostly brick embankment. Threw popping corks all along the east side while trolling along most of the way up. At this point it was time to get back to the dock, and we packed up and headed home.

Not a single bite, no fish jumping, no birds working, no bait fish moving, just an incredibly frustrating day.

#7 ·
I don't mind fishing and not catching, I'm just trying to document my fishing trips from now on so I have a record. Trying to learn this whole fishing thing. The most frustrating part of the day was the engine trouble I was having. Boat is at BPS now getting some warranty work done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I struggle this time of year and August. Truthfully it doesn't frustrate me when I can't find any bait activity though. What drives me insane is when I find tons of bait and fish chasing them but can't get a bite to save my life. Oh well guess that's why I keep doing it.

#16 ·
I don't want this to hijack the ops original post but do want to put everyone on notice. The op mentioned fishing the canal near carancahua. This canal is on the edge of a very toxic waste pit. I've done well in there at times but after hearing about the pit, i won't eat the fish from the area. It was finally reported on Fox 26:

http://www.fox26houston.com/news/239027867-story

Hope the link works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.